Saturday, August 30, 2008

IL & "Second Life" in Public Libraries

What are the implications for information literacy instruction posed in this message, posted to the Second Life Librarians Google Group:

On Aug 28, 12:32 pm, "Cecily Walker" wrote:
Hi everyone,

This is my first post to the list, so I hope you'll forgive me for
posting a "trawling for information" message as my first.

I'm a librarian with the Vancouver Public Library in Vancouver, BC.
We're looking into the possibility of making Second Life available on
our public terminals, but are interested in looking at Second Life
policies from other libraries. Specifically, we're wondering whether
your library allows patrons to use SL from the public terminals, and
if so, what sort of safeguards did you have to put in place? I'm also
interested in hearing from people who work for libraries that don't allow SL.

If you'd like to reply to me off the list, that would be OK - I'll
compile a summary of responses and make it available if anyone's
interested. When you reply, could you please include the library you
work for and your title?

Thank you so much for your attention.

Cecily Walker
Auxiliary Librarian I
Vancouver Public Library
cecil...@vpl.ca
cecily.wal...@gmail.com (I can be reached via Google talk if you prefer)

No comments:

Post a Comment